The Fourth of July is Wednesday and while you may have the day off to spend with family and friends around the barbecue, you still may need to get out and about.
Here's what you need to know about what's open and closed in Birmingham:
- City offices: Parking tickets happen year-round, including the Fourth of July. However, , including the clerk's office, city managr's office and finance department, will be closed Wednesday.
- Post office: The on Bowers Street will not be open on Wednesday, nor will there be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will reopen Thursday for normal business hours, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Trash collection: Trash collection will be delayed one day due to the holiday.
- Emergency: Call 911 for police or fire emergencies. For any non-emergencies, call the at 248-530-1889 or the .
- Library: will be closed Wednesday for the holiday, reopening at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday.
- Art center: The (BBAC) will be closed Wednesday.
- YMCA: The will be open from 5 a.m.-1 p.m. on Wednesday, though there will be no fitness classes.
- Movies: Need to get out with the family on Wednesday, holiday or not? Take them to the movies! Here's what's playing:
- : Brave (first show at 11:40 a.m.), Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (first show at 4:15 p.m.) and The Amazing Spider-Man (first show at 1:30 p.m.)
- : Rock of Ages (first show at 1:15 p.m.) and Marvel's The Avengers (first show at noon)