Zuma is a versatile cafe in downtown Birmingham, undergoing ownership changes and name changes, but remaining as one of the few 24-hour spots in the area. Originally Java Hut, Zuma came under new ownership in 2008. A year later, in 2009, its name changed to Zuma. Owner Richard Spicks, who along with his wife grew up in the area, says he decided to own the business because he had always had an "entrepreneur spirit," and he felt that with a wife and two, adopted children, it was the right timing. Despite starting a business during the economic recession, Zuma continues to thrive with a strong base of regulars and newcomers, which can partially be attributed to the personal atmosphere. Employees are often long-term and have been with the shop since it was Java Hut. Also, since it stays open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, it is one of the few, late-night study-friendly spots for those cramming for exams at 2am, or simply craving a coffee after a late dinner and drink.
- Hours: Daily, 24 hrs
- Handicap Accessible: No stairs leading to the entrance, which is wide enough to accomodate wheelchairs
- Founding Date: 2008
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Coffee, tea, espresso-based beverages, homemade soups and Turkey Chili, made-to-order sandwiches and salads, growing assortment of Vegan baked goods
- Food & dining options: Low calorie, Natural, Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian
- General services: Catering, Eat-in, Phone orders, Prepared foods, Take-out
- Menu link: www.zumacoffeehouse.com/Zuma-Menu.pdf
- Specialties: Homemade soups and Turkey Chili; made-to-order sandwiches and salads; baked goods made on-site. Free WiFi with purchase.
- ATM: No
- Parking: On-street: metered
- What makes this community special?: In downtown Birmingham, shops receive great foot traffic and the area has frequent community events. Parking lots (two of which are within walking distance to Zuma) offer the first two hours of parking for free.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Newspapers, magazines: Yes
- Top 10 menu items, or signature dishes: 1. Turkey Chili 2. Minestrone and Cheddar Broccoli soups 3. Soup and sandwich combinations 4. Hummus and pita 5. Homemade cookies, scones and triple-chocolate brownies 6. Breakfast burrito 7. Egg sandwich 8. Elaine's Bagels