Groves High School is one of two public schools in the Birmingham Public School District. It was listed in US News & World Report as one of the best high schools in the country.
Groves High School offers such elective courses as Holocaust Literature and Civil War and Reconstruction. Students can also chooses from courses in Spanish, French or Japanese, and have access to a language lab. Other electives include classes in business technology, business law, economics, fashion merchandising and ESL. Finally, Groves High School offers a gifted and talented program.
Groves High School also has a robust sports community. Calling themselves the Groves Falcons, students don green and white when they hit the athletic field and participate in the school's 30 varsity sports. Teams compete in the top two divisions of the Oakland Activities Association, and have the option of competing with Seaholm on unified hockey, gymnastics and lacrosse teams.
Groves High School comes equipped with seven tennis courts, an 8-lane stretch pool, a 330-seat theater for lectures and performances, wireless computer labs and 17 courtyards.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 2:45pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 2,601
- Public/Private: Public
- Graduation rate (%): 96
- Accreditation/licenses: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 25:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 600 (district-wide)
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Volunteerism is part of the Groves community. More than 950 students volunteer in school-sponsored service projects every year, with Groves' Community Service Office serving as every students' gateway to giving back.
- Grade levels: 9 -12
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: English Language, English Literature, Calculus, Statistics, American Government, Modern European History, U.S. History, Psychology, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, French, Japanese, Spanish, Studio Art, Computer Science
- Extracurricular activities available: Forensic Team, Robotics Team, Debate Team, National Honor Society, Sciptor Newspapers, Talon Yearbook, Jazz Band, Concert Band, Symphony Band, Wind Ensemble, Pit Orchestra, Evergreen Singers, Groves Performing Arts Company
- Student clubs: French, Spanish and Japenese clubs, Ecology Club, Gay/Straight Alliance, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Groves Diversity Committee, Ceramics Club, Jewelry Club, Photography Club, Knitting Club, Video Club
- Sports teams: Cross country, football, soccer, tennis, water polo, basketball, hockey, skiing, swimming, diving, wresting, baseball, golf, lacrosse, track, pom pon, volleyball, gymnastics, softball