Gateway Montessori School
Gateway Montessori School in Birmingham is part of a larger, nonprofit organization with multiple locations. It has a community approach to learning that spans age groups in order to help those from different years benefit from the perspectives of various ages.
The program is available for children from infancy to six years old, and children are taught individually or in small groups to make the experience personalized for each child's learning needs and style. In addition to pre-K and kindergarten, the students are offered Spanish and music lessons twice a week, as well as an after-school childcare program for students who only have class until 11:30am.
- Hours: Office hours: 7:30am - 6pm. Half days: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 11:30am. Full days: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 3pm. Half day afternoon daycare: 11:30am - 3pm.
- Handicap Accessible: There is a back entrance that does not require climbing or descending stairs.
- Founding Date: 1962
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: No
- Religious affiliation: Catholic
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: Teaching certificates of instructors
- Student-to-teacher ratio: Infants 1:3, toddlers 1:4, primary 1:10, extended day 1:10
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: metered
- How engaged is the school with the community?: "The students are comprised mostly of community members and the parents are extremely involved."
- What makes this community special?: "Family relationships with their children and the importance they place on education."
- Montessori: Yes
- Uniforms: No
- Special education: No