Commonwealth Cafe, previously known as Cannella's, opened in October 2010. The manager, Mike Haener, works with the two owners James Hayosh and Hubert Yaro, who also own Ronin's Sushi in Royal Oak. The business brings a unique offering to Birmingham, with a cafe vibe of gourmet coffee and natural, modern interior decorations. The breakfast and lunch menu offers healthy food alternatives without the sacrifice of flavor. Chef Whitney Smith, formerly of Birmingham's Rugby Grille , uses locally sourced, organic ingredients whenever possible. Entrees are well below $20, and the menu has classic dishes such as poached eggs whole grain, homemade waffles.
- Hours: Daily, 7am - 7:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: There are no stairs leading to the entrance, which is wide enough to accomodate wheelchairs.
- Founding Date: October 2010
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Gourmet coffees, breakfast, lunch
- Food & dining options: Natural, Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian
- General services: Phone orders, Take-out
- Specialties: Organic and locally-sourced foods, as well as bean-to-cup grinding and brewing
- ATM: No
- Parking: On-street: metered
- Private events: Yes
- Wi-Fi: None
- Newspapers, magazines: Yes
- Top 10 menu items, or signature dishes: Poached eggs and the "C" latte.