Berkshire Middle School
Berkshire Middle School is one of two middle schools in the Birmingham Public School District, serving half of its 1,883 students in grades 6-8. Students take classes in core academic areas, as well as a variety of rotational courses and electives, depending on their grade level.
Sixth graders have the option of studying either beginniner French or Chinese, or continuing their Spanish studies from elementary school. All sixth graders also rotate between classes in art, engineerng technology, skills for living and physical education.
Seventh graders continue in their academic courses, as well as language classes. Seventh graders can also choose from a variety of electives, from fashion engineering to newspaper.
Eighth graders begin to prepare for high school in their classes and electives. Students can also choose to participate in advanced band, advanced orchestra, or chorale, all of which require a full-year commitment and may require an audition.
- Hours: School Day: 8:15 am - 3:08 pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 1,883
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: All Birmingham schools are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 23 to 1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 600 (district-wide)
- Grade levels: 6 - 8
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Band; Orchestra; Choir
- Sports teams: Football; Basketball; Tennis; Volleyball; Swimming; Wrestling; Soccer; Track