Baldwin Public Library
Founded by Birmingham matriarch Martha Baldwin, after whom the library was later named, the Baldwin Public Library has served residents of Birmingham and the surrounding communities for more than 150 years. Besides books, the library also lets patrons borrow music, movies and auidiobooks, alongside a large stable of programs and classes for children, teens, adults and seniors.
The library also provides community members with research databases, resources for job-seekers, magazines, Internet access, quiet meeting rooms, a selection of new releases, multiple copies of book club books, and reading rooms equipped with couches, chairs, tables, lamps and power outlets.
- Hours: Mon - Thu, 9:30am - 9pm; Fri - Sat, 9:30am - 5:30pm; Sun, noon - 5 pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1869
- What makes this community special?: From Director Doug Koschik: "Birmingham is a great city for many reasons, but especially for its spirit of civic involvement. This is the kind of town where people get to know their neighbors closely, and become involved."
- Parking: On-street: metered
- Size of collection: 170,000
- Specialties: Working in tandem with the Birmingham Historical Museum, the library houses a collection of books and other materials on Birmingham history.
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: Internet users are expected to abide by Baldwin Library's Code of Conduct, but the library does not monitor Internet usage. All patrons are responsible for content, although activites meant to disrupt the network are prohibited.
- Programs/classes: Baldwin offers a variety of programs for children, teens, adult and seniors. Programs include numerous book clubs, academic lectures and discussions, computer classes and continuing education classes.
- Book donation information: The library has an open donation policy year-round. All books that can't be used at the library are sold at Friends of the Library book sale.
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: Yes