This is the fifth in a 30-day series of ways Patch community members can give back this holiday season. We hope you'll take part in this 30 Days of Giving, and take the spirit beyond the holidays, because there is "need" all year long.
Create an affordable holiday
Good things come to those that give, and through Dec. 6, do-gooders will receive $1 off a future cup of joe at their local Caribou Coffee when they donate a toy to Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit.
Caribou Coffee, in conjunction with FM 88.7, or 89X, as well as bd’s Mongolian Grill, are hosting a '12 Days of Christmas' campaign to collect toy donations to be sold at Goodwill’s Santa Shop. The shop gives Goodwill clients, who are unemployed or receiving education through Goodwill, the opportunity to purchase deeply-discounted holiday presents for their children.
Caribou Coffee and bd's Mongolian Grill locations will serve as the drop-off spot for the toys though only Caribou customers will receive the $1 off their next cup of coffee.
“It’s easy – you’re going to go grab a cup of coffee, bring a toy to donate and get $1 off. And you’re giving something to someone that is having a tough time this holiday season,” Mark Lane, director of public relations and special events for Goodwill Industries, said.
In addition to gifts, the campaign is also collecting money in two different ways: through donations and tips. bd's Mongolian Grill locations will be collecting money for Goodwill while 89X personalities will be serving as baristas at Carbou Coffees across Metro Detroit during the next week, and 100 percent of their tips will go toward Goodwill.
“At Goodwill we put people back into jobs and through training programs to get there. People going into these programs really don’t have the cash to go buy Christmas presents,” Lane said. “We’re giving these kids and families a Christmas which is really, really nice.”
Participating bd’s Mongolian Grill locations:
- 200 S. Main St. in Ann Arbor
- 3325 University Dr. in Auburn Hills
- 29004 Gratiot Ave. in Roseville
- 13150 Hall Road in Sterling Heights
Participating Caribou Coffee locations
Participating Caribou Coffee locations featuring 89X personalities
- – featuring Dave Hunter from 11 a.m.-noon on Nov. 29
- – with Cristina from 1:30-2:30 p.m. on Dec. 4
- – featuring Lisa Way from noon-1 p.m. on Dec. 5
- 40200 W. 14 Mile Rd. in Commerce Township – featuring Sarah from 11 a.m.-noon on Nov. 30
- – with Mark McKenzie from 10-11 a.m. on Dec. 1
- 1413 W. 14 Mile Rd. in Madison Heights – with Sarah from noon-1 p.m. on Dec. 2
- – featuring James from 11 a.m.-noon on Dec. 3
- 17378 Haggerty Rd. in Livonia – with Cal Cagno from noon-1 p.m. on Dec. 6.
Do you have an idea for the 30 Days of Giving? Send your idea to Editor Laura Houser at Laura.Houser@patch.com.