Several Birmingham-area boys swimmers were recognized recently for making the 2012-13 All Oakland County Swim Team.
Swimmers making up Seaholm High School's 200-yard freestyle relay team, as well as those making up the 400-yard freestyle relay team, earned spots on the Oakland County's second team, an honor that looks at swimmers' individual performances throughout the season. Those swimmers include:
- Junior Nathan Anderson (200 freestyle relay)
- Senior Connor Saeli (200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay)
- Junior Mike Shaben (200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay)
- Senior Addison Williams (200 freestyle relay, 400 freestyle relay)
- Sophomore Enrique Hernandez (400 freestyle relay)
Also earning spots on the second team were Groves High School senior Tom Power in the 100-yard backstroke, and junior Clark Lindsay in the 100-yard breaststroke. Detroit Country Day's Michael Nadolski made the second team for the 50-yard freestyle.
Meanwhile, Seaholm sophomore Jack Russell earned a spot on the third team for his performance in the 100-yard breaststroke, while Seaholm's Hernandez made the third team for the 100-yard freestyle.
Seaholm and Groves' presence on the all-county teams is to be expected, with both teams strong contenders in Division 2. Earlier this month, the Maples, ranked No. 1 earlier in the season, brought home third place at the Division 2 state finals. Groves finished in ninth place.
In 2012, meanwhile, Groves finished in second place at the state finals, with Seaholm finishing right behind them. And in 2011, Seaholm and Groves packed a one-two punch, with the Maples coming in first and the Falcons finishing second.
Individually, each athlete selected for the all-county team also placed high at the state finals. At Seaholm:
- Russell finished in third place in his event, the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing in 57.61 seconds.
- The swimmers making up Seaholm's 200-yard freestyle relay team finished fourth at the state finals and third in the 400-yard freestyle relay.
- Hernandez finished eighth in the 100-yard freestyle, finishing in 47.62 seconds.
- Lindsay finished second in the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing in 56.99 seconds.
- Power finished fourth in the 100-yard backstroke, coming in at 51.13 seconds.
Brother Rice makes a strong showing on all teams
However, it was Birmingham's neighbor, Brother Rice, that made the strongest showing at the all-county level. The Warriors finished in second place overall at the Division 1 finals and in third place in 2012. Brother Rice also won the 2013 Oakland County Championships by a 31-point margin.
Making the list for Brother Rice this year:
- 200-yard medley relay team: Mark Blinstrub, Drew Grady, Nikolaus Lehnertz, Gust Kourvaris
- Joe Krause, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard freestyle
- Patrick Nodland, 50-yard freestyle
- Gust Kouvaris, 100-yard butterfly
- 200-yard freestyle relay team: Joe Krause, Ryan Grady, Brandford Jones, Patrick Noland
- 400-yard freestyle relay team: Gust Kouvaris, Patrick Nodland, Mark Blinstrub, Joe Krause
- Mark Blinstrub, 100-yard butterfly
- Drake Michalzuk, 500-yard freestyle
- Gust Kourvaris, 100-yard backstroke