Do you have a little one about to start school next fall? Will your elementary student be moving on to middle school soon? Or, are you looking to move into the Birmingham Public School district and want to learn more?
To help parents and educate the community on what they have to offer, the will be hosting a community open house from 2-4 p.m. Sunday, opening nearly every building so community members can take a look around, talk to teachers and principals and ask questions of district administrators.
The only school not participating is the , which will have its own open house Dec. 4.
The district open house attracts a lot of parents every year, many of whom are considering where to send their children to school, according to schools spokeswoman Marcia Wilkinson.
"Some people haven't moved here yet," she said. "Some parents might have elementary students but they're trying to decide whether or not they want to send them to private school."
"This is a chance for people to check out the schools and see what Birmingham is all about."
Coming in from out of town to visit the schools? Here's what you need to know:
Want some fast facts on the district before you show up? According to the district website:
- The distric serves more than 8,000 students.
- The district is made of up students from Birmingham, Beverely Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin and Bloomfield Township.
- There are two high schools, an alternative high school, two middle schools and eight elementary schools.
- The district also runs an , a and the .
- The district offers special education, half-day preschools, commuity education programs, interscholastic and intermural sports and vocational education.
To learn more about the district's demographics, test scores and more, visit the district's Data Dashboard.
Participating buildings include:
- (18305 Beverly Rd., Beverly Hills)
- (23400 W. 13 Mile, Bingham Farms)
- (31200 Fairfax St., Beverly Hills)
- (3595 N. Adams Rd., Bloomfield Hills)
- (955 N. Eton St., Troy)
- (1829 Pierce St., Birmingham)
- (771 Chesterfield St., Birmingham)
- (6275 Inkster Rd., Bloomfield Hills)
- (21707 W. 14 Mile, Beverly Hills)
- (1300 Derby Rd., Birmingham)
- (20500 W. 13 Mile, Beverly Hills)
- (2436 W. Lincoln St., Birmingham)
- (2121 Midvale, Birmingham)