A coalition based in Oak Park hosts a National Day of Service project and workshops honoring Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy.
Scouts, teams, families and other participants of all ages will package up to 25,000 meals for the Capuchin Soup Kitchen in Detroit and for Kenya Relief, an international charity. Choice of one-hour sessions at 11:30 a.m. or 1 p.m.
Attendees also can bring canned food for City Mission, a Detroit nonprofit.
Hunger and poverty workshops for children presented by Seaholm Drama Club at 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Adult and high school volunteers will supervise children.
Adult workshops presented at same times by:
- Jeff Adams, City Mission development director
- Steve James, co-founder of kenyarelief.org
- Representative of Little Dresses for Africa, a Wayne County nonprofit recently featured by NBC News
- Birmingham Public Schools
- Kensington Community Church (Troy, Birmingham)
- Conrad Charitable Foundation (Northville)