The will host its 26th annual gala and auction next weekend to raise critical scholarship and operating funds for the Birmingham-based school for learning challenges.
“This event is an amazing example of the deep community support for different learners,” said Eton's head of school, Pete Pullen. “This is a very special time at Eton as we reflect on the positive stories of our current students, alumni, teachers and families and set our sights on the future of preparing our students for success.”
Eton is one of the few students in the midwest designed specifically for students with reading, ADHD and other learning challenges. The school does not receive any state funding and relies heavily on fundraising, donations and grants.
This year's theme is "Experience the Transformation" and according to Dawn Frasa, more than 200 guests are expected for the black tie event and the schoo hopes to raise more than $200,000. Items up for auction include several "bucket list" adventures, including:
- VIP tickets to the Ellen DeGeneres and Conan O’Brian shows, plus two nights at the Fairmont hotel in Santa Monica, CA.
- A chartered fishing trip for five on Lake St. Clair with a Master Captain.
- A Detroit Yacht Club Sailing package:18 sailing lessons for one adult, includes two evening races aboard the Northern Spy sailboat and a formal dinner at the Detroit Yacht Club.
- The Hunter’s Dream: One day of shooting instruction at the Huntsman Club in Dryden, MI with instructor Steve Trudeau for six people. Also includes a collectors Gun-Browning Citori Estate Piece shotgun (20 gauge) and a Boyt case, valued at more than $2,000.
Eton students will also be getting in on the act. Katy Dasch, part of the class of 2007, as well as Kyle Thomas, a current sixth grader, will speak about their experiences at Eton. Several Eton middle school students have also built a race car bed to be auctioned off during the evening.
If you go:
- When: 6-10 p.m. March 3
- Where: Eton Academy, located behind
- Cost: Event tickets are $200. Raffle tickets (for a $10,000 cash prize) are $100 each.
- To buy tickets: Visit www.etonacademy.org or call 248-642-1150.
- For more: Absentee bidding for the Live Auction is available by contacting Blythe Moran at the school.