Birmingham Public Schools is hiring.
The school district is looking for a new assistant superintendent for human resources, after the former manager, .
Dean's departure came around the same time as another major vacancy in Birmingham schools — and was replaced by who came to the district from Madison, WI.
In addition, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction Stephen Palmer announced at the Sept. 11 school board meeting that he would soon be retiring from the district, leaving another vacancy in district administration.
So what does it take to be Birmingham's assistant superintendent for human resources? According to the job description, Birmingham Schools is looking for:
The assistant superintendent for human resources reports directly to the superintendent and is responsible for human resources leadership and for all personnel office functions and activities: recruitment, selection, evaluation and personnel administration for all employees.
The assistant superintendent for human resouces is responsible for all collective bargaining activities, including the administration of contracts, workers' compensation, fringe benefit programs, substitute procurement for personnel, paraprofessionals, and secretarial/clerical staffs.
- Master's degree or higher in human resources, labor relations or school administration
- Knowledge and experience within the field of contemporary human resources
- Experience in labor relations and acting as a negotiator
- Positive record in proactive and collaborative leadership in developing working relationships with employee groups and bargaining units
- Successful experience in interviewing, selecting and evaluating teachers and other personnel
- Ability to work in a trusting and positive manner with other administrators and community members
- Demonstrates positive and interpersonal relationships
- Successful experience in maintaining good employee morale and promoting staff development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of technology and its application in the school setting
Salary and benefits
Salary range for the 2012-13 school year is $111,563-$137,140 annually, the job posting reads. A comprehensive fringe benefits package, including board paid, tax-sheltered annuity, insurances, vacation and sick leave is included. The work year is 260 days.
Want to apply?
Submit your letter of interest and current resume by Friday, Oct. 12 to:
Mr. Scott Little
Interim Executive Director of Human Resources
Birmingham Public Schools
550 West Merrill St.
Birmingham, MI 48009