Six national media figures will discuss the Michigan primary and the overall presidential campaign at a Birmingham luncheon Monday that will have a limited number of tickets available at the door.
The event, hosted by the Adcraft Club of Detroit, features journalists from Newsweek and The Daily Beast, a popular news website owned by the magazine. The event is promoted, in language befitting the club's advertising executives, as "a unique gathering of some of the brightest minds in politics from both sides of the aisle."
Panel members will share predictions for the next day's primary and comment on how Michigan social and economic policy issues, particularly federal aid for auto companies, affect Campaign 2012 nationally.
Here's the lineup:
- Andrew Sullivan: An author and pioneering daily blogger who jumped from The Atlantic to The Daily Beast last April. He's a weekly columnist for the Sunday Times of London and former editor of The New Republic.
- David Frum: Contributing editor at Newsweek, as well as a presidential speechwriter for George W. Bush in 2001-02. In 2007-28, Frum was senior foreign policy adviser to Rudy Giuliani's brief presidential campaign.
- Michael Tomasky: A special correspondent for the magazine, Tomasky is also the editor of a quarterly journal based in Washington, DC.
- Patricia Murphy: A former U.S. Senate aide, Murphy covers the campaign for and is founding editor of Citizen Jane Politics, a nonpartisan website for women. She previously was Capitol Hill bureau chief for AOL.
- John Avlon: A senior columnist at Newsweek and a CNN contributor, Avlon is the moderator of the event. His books include Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America.
- Tina Brown: Editor-in-chief of Newsweek and The Daily Beast, Brown will deliver introductory remarks.
While registration is closed, an announcement by the 107-year-old club for marketers says it will sell "a limited number of tickets" at the Townsend on Monday morning. The event begins at 11:30 a.m. Admission is $45. The club's email address is email@example.com.