Are you staying in town this Thanksgiving? Here's everything you might need to know about what's open and when:
Run out of cranberries during your Thanksgiving dinner? Need another can of pumpkin pie filling? Or, among all the hubbub, did you forget to buy milk last week? Don't fear, here's what will be open Thanksgiving Day:
- Kroger, 6 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Market Square, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Grapevine Market, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Papa Joe's Gourmet Market and Catering, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Kako's Market, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Eton Market will be closed.
City of Birmingham offices will be closed Thursday and Friday, reopening at 8 a.m. Monday. For any problems, contact the Birmingham Police Department at 248-530-1889. The Fire Department can be reached at 248-530-1900, but for an emergency (or fried turkey accidents), dial 911.
The U.S. Postal Service branch at 1221 Bowers St. will not be open Thanksgiving Day, nor will there be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will be open Friday during normal business hours, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
For residents with regular trash pickup on Thursdays and Fridays, pickup will be delayed one day.
For those with family in town, it's always a good bet to take a trip to one of Birmingham's many cultural centers. However, pay attention to holiday hours:
- The Baldwin Public Library will close at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and be closed Thursday. The library will reopen at 9:30 a.m. Friday.
- The Birmingham Historical Museum and Park and the Birmingham-Bloomfield Art Center will be closed Thursday-Saturday.
The Birmingham Ice Sports Arena will be closed on Thanksgiving but will be open Friday for four open-skate sessions:
- Parent and tot skate: 9:30-10:50 a.m.
- Adult skate: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Open skate: 1:10-2:30 p.m.
- Open hockey: 10:10-11:30 p.m.