Do you know of any young actors or actresses looking for their big break?
Get them over to Birmingham's Village Players theater this weekend, as the Village Youth Theatre holds auditions for their winter musical, Disney's My Son Pinocchio: Gepetto's Musical Adventure this Saturday.
Registration for auditions begins at 9:30 a.m.; auditions begin at 10 a.m. According to the Village Players' Cathie Badalamenti, auditions typically last three hours.
The show opens at 7 p.m. Dec. 6, 7 and 8, with additional shows at 2 p.m. Dec. 8 and 9. In addition, there will be a special performance at 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 30 at the Birmingham Winter Markt in Shain Park.
Does your child want to try out for the show? Here's what you need to know:
- All actors should prepare a one-minute monologue from a play, musical or collection of monologues. Memorization is preferred.
- All actors must sing one or two songs from Pinocchio, either "When You Wish Upon a Star" or "I've Got No Strings." If you are auditioning for a lead role, be prepared to perform both songs. Audition sheet music is avaialble for pick-up at the Village Players box office.
- All actors will participate in a short dance audition, taught at the beginning of auditions.
- Dress in clothing and footwear that shows you at your best but is easy to move in. No flip flops, Uggs, etc.
Rehearsal begin Oct. 3 and will be held Monday and Wednesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
There is no rehearsal on Oct. 31 or Nov. 21 and 24. The Village Players will consider schedule conflicts noted at the time of audition. There are no conflicts allowed during tech week — Dec. 1-5 from 4:30-8:30 p.m.
All rehearsales are held at the Village Players playhouse unless otherwise announced.
All actors cast in the production pay a $200 production fee. Production scholarships are available.
The Village Youth Theatre is looking for volunteers to support all aspects of the production. Cast members are required to have a family member work two performances or dress rehearsals, and all cast members and one family member must help with the production strike on Dec. 9. There will be two mandatory parent meetings at 10 a.m. Oct. 6 and 1 p.m. Dec. 2.
Volunteers are needed for:
- Set construction and painting
- Sewing and altering of costumes
- Props acquistition
- Stage management
- Hair and makeup assistance
- Backstage supervision
- Set support
For more information, including what characters you can play, visit Audition for Pinocchio at the Village Youth Theatre.