You know the holidays are here when area orchestras and bands tune up their instruments and choirs warm up their voices, all the while preparing for a season of holiday concerts.
So don't miss the sounds of the season with this year's line-up of holiday concerts:
- When: Dec. 2-4
- For more: There's a whole host of choirs and bands lined up to perform during Birmingham's second annual Winter Markt Dec. 2-4 in Shain Park. Included in the line-up are choirs are various Birmingham elementary schools, the Birmingham Brass Quintet, the and Deutsche Schule Detroit. For a full list, check out
- When: 3 p.m. Dec. 3
- Where: Christ Church Cranbrook in Bloomfield Hills
- For more: Enjoy the sounds of the season with this concert by the St. Dunstan's Choir. Admission is free.
- When: 3:30 p.m. Dec. 4
- For more: Join the Birmingham Concert Band for their holiday concert Sunday as they perform holiday favorites Joyeux Noel, Jingle Bells March and Gloria. The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer's Chancel Choir will also perform Angel's Carol and Mary's Lullaby. Admission is free though donations are encouraged.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4
- Where: Kirk in the Hills in Bloomfield Hills
- For more: Come enjoy part one of Handel's Messiah as well as music by Rutter, Mathias, Darke, and Wilcocks. There will also be an audience carol sing-along. Admissions is $12 for adults, $10 for seniors and $5 for students.
- When: 4:30 p.m. Dec. 11
- For more: Under the direction of Frederic DeHaven, the Oakland Choral Society performs Dec. 11. Soloists for the production are Kathleen Keenan (soprano), Daniel Schuetz (countertenor), Kyle Stegall (tenor) and Mark Watson (bass). Tickets are $15 in advance and $25 at the door. For tickets, call 248-391-0184.
- When: 2 p.m. Sunday
- For more: Calling all Glee fans! If you like the hit TV show, then check out the 'Seasons Of Love' concert performed by the Motor City Glee Club on Sunday, a one hour love-filled performance based on Glee.
- When: 4 p.m. Dec. 18
- For more: The choirs of St. James and All Saints, Pontiac, with soloists and guest instrumentalists, join forces to present the complete Christmas carols written for Christmas cards 1922-56 by Alfred Burt and his father, the Rev. Bates Burt, onetime rector at All Saints. Images of the Burt Christmas cards and important events from the years they were made will be shown on screen. Admission is free.
- When: 7 p.m. Dec. 18
- For more: Enjoy one of the orhestra's most popular concerts of the year when Charles Greenwell conducts this concert full of holiday favorites. Choires from both Groves and will also perform. Tickets are $25 though students 18 and under are free.
School band, orchestra concerts
Bands, choirs and orchestras from both and high schools, as well as the will perform this December. Upcoming concert dates include:
- Dec. 4: Roeper Community Chorus concert (3 p.m.)
- Dec. 7: Roeper Winter Vocal concert (7 p.m.)
- Dec. 8: Groves High School orchestra concert (7 p.m.)
- Dec. 9: Seaholm High School choir performs at Senior Mens Club (11:15 a.m.)
- Dec. 13: Seaholm High School band concert (7:30 p.m.)
- Dec. 14: Seaholm High School orchestra concert (7:30 p.m.)
- Dec. 14: Roeper Winter band concert (7 p.m.)
For more holiday events, make sure to visit . Then, check out our Holiday Guide 2011 for more stories and discussion.