What's Open (and Closed) in Birmingham This New Year's
The library will be open until 5:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve, and the museum's Family New Year's Blast has been canceled.
For some, it's just another day work. For others, it's a day to celebrate the end of 2012 and the beginning of 2013.
Whatever you're doing this New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, if you're in town, you may need to know what's happening around Birmingham. Here's your guide to what's open and closed:
Birmingham City Hall, including the Clerk's Office, City Manager's Office and Finance Department, will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Offices will reopen at 8 a.m. Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Post Office on Bowers Street will be closed on Tuesday, nor will there be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will reopen with normal business hours, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. on Wednesday.
Since the holiday falls on a week day this year, however, trash pick-up will be one-day late this week.
- Baldwin Public Library will close at 5:30 p.m. Monday and be closed all day Tuesday.
- The Birmingham Ice Sports Arena has open skating from 10:30 a.m.-noon on New Year's Eve but is closed on New Year's Day.
- The Birmingham Family YMCA will be open until noon on New Year's Eve then open until 3 p.m. on New Year's Day (perfect for jump-starting those New Year's resolutions).
- The Birmingham Historical Museum and Park will be closed on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. In addition, there will be no Family New Year's Blast at the museum this year.
- The Palladium 12 Theatre will begin showing movies at 11 a.m. on New Year's Eve and 11 a.m. on New Year's Day. The Birmingham 8 will also begin showing movies at 11 a.m. on New Year's Day.
What else is open or closed around town for the holidays? Let us know by leaving a comment below and we'll add it to this story.