Staying in town this New Year's weekend? Here's everything you might need to know about what's open and when.
Birmingham City Hall, including the Clerk's Office, City Manager's Office and Finance Department, will be closed Friday through Monday for New Year's and will reopen at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
Even though New Year's Day falls on Sunday this year, the U.S. Postal Service branch on Bowers Street will observe the holiday on the following Monday. That means the post office will not be open, nor will there be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will reopen Tuesday with normal business hours, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Trash collection will not be affected by New Year's. Pickup will remain on schedule.
- The Palladium 12 and Birmingham 8 will begin showing movies at 11 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., respectively, on New Year's Day with movies scheduled the rest of the day. Both theaters will have fewer show times on New Year's Eve.
- Baldwin Public Library will be open during its regular hours on New Year's Eve but will be closed on New Year's Day.
- The Birmingham Ice Sports Arena will be open from 10:30 a.m.-noon on New Year's Eve, then will be closed New Year's Day.
- The Birmingham Family YMCA on Lincoln Street will be open until noon New Year's Eve and open until 3 p.m. on New Year's Day (perfect for jump-starting those New Year's resolutions).
- The Birmingham Historical Museum and Park will not be open on New Year's Eve, as they were in 2010, for their First Night celebration.