Weekend Planner: Movies, Concerts and a Little 'Pure Imagination'
Also happening this weekend: 'Willy Wonka' comes to Seaholm High School while the Detroit Symphony Orchestra will perform as part of the AVANTI Summer MusicFest.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Friday (movie starts at dusk)
- Where: Booth Park
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: See a movie under the stars this Friday with Birmingham's summertime movie in the park series, featuring The Muppets. All activities start at 7:30 p.m. while the film begins at dusk. Bring your favorite blanket and a picnic dinner and enjoy a movie under the stars.
- When: 8 p.m. Friday; 7 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Meadowbrook Music Festival (3554 Walton Blvd. in Rochester Hills)
- Cost: $15-$37
- Why Go: Enjoy the sounds of summer at the Meadowbrook Music Festival this weekend. On Friday, 1964: The Tribute performs beginning at 8 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and tickets are $10 for lawn seats and $20 for seats under the pavillion. On Saturday, the perennial college band O.A.R. returns for a performance at 7 p.m., doors opening at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 for lawn seats and $36.50 for pavillion seats. A limited number of $15 lawn seats are still available.
- When: 7 p.m. Friday-Sunday
- Where: Maple Theater (4135 W. Maple Rd. in Bloomfield Township)
- Cost: $5
- Why Go: Before the Maple Theater (formerly the Maple Art Theater located at Maple and Telegraph) closes for renovation next week, they're showing films from the American Film Institute's all-time list of best movies. The catch? You don't know what will be showing until the movie starts (though Friday's film will be family-friendy). Tickets are $5 and the popcorn is free.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
- Where: First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham
- Cost: $25-$50
- Why Go: The Detroit Symphony Orchestra will be performing Friday evening as part of the AVANTI Summer MusicFest, in which young musicians from around Metro Detroit learn from DSO members. Friday night, the DSO will perfom orchestral works from Copland, Beethoven and Mozart. All proceeds will support the AVANTI Summer MusicFest.
- When: 7 p.m. Friday
- Where: Seaholm High School
- Cost: $15
- Why Go: As part of Project DayDream's 10th anniversary, the Metro Detroit theater company will present Willy Wonka Friday evening. Directed by Tiffany Victoria Sims, Willy Wonka has many of the favorite musical numbers from the 1971 film, including “Pure Imagination,” “I’ve Got a Golden Ticket,” “I Want it Now” and “The Candy Man.” Tickets can be purchased ahead of time at www.projectdaydream.org.