Weekend Planner: Marc-Andre Hamelin Comes to Seligman Performing Arts Center
Also happening this weekend: Berkshire Middle School will be collecting pantry items or toiletries during their movie night fundraiser Friday.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your upcoming weekend from Birmingham and the surrounding area:
- When: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday
- Where: St. Dunstan's Theatre (400 Lone Pine Rd., in Bloomfield Hills)
- Cost: $20-$22
- Why Go: The "Razzle Dazzle" comes to the Birmingham area this weekend with the St. Dunstan's Theatre performance of Chicago this Friday and Saturday. Starring actors and actresses from Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Oak Park and Royal Oak, the show continues through Feb. 2. The show is directed by Bingham Farms resident Jeff Davison and tickets are $20-$22.
Music: Marc-Andre Hamelin Concert
- When: 8 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Seligman Performing Arts Center (22305 W. 13 Mile Rd., in Beverly Hills)
- Cost: $30-$60
- Why Go: The Chamber Music Society of Detroit presents “the thinking man’s virtuoso,” pianist Marc-André Hamelin as part of the PNC Piano Series. The concert includes music of J.S. Bach, Fauré, Ravel, Rachmaninoff and Hamelin himself. Tickets are $30-$60; advance student tickets are available at half price; student rush tickets are $10. Purchase by phone at 248-855-6070 or online at www.ChamberMusicDetroit.org.
Schools: Greenfield Elementary Talent Show
- When: 1:45-3:30 p.m.
- Where: Greenfield Elementary
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: So this is just shy of the weekend, but if you've got students at Greenfield Elementary, you won't want to miss their annual talent show. Students and staff members will be participating in the annual show, including a performance from all staff members at the Birmingham elementary school.
Summer: Roeper Camp Open House
- When: 12:30 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Roeper Lower School (41190 Woodward Ave., in Bloomfield Hills)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: The time to start looking for summer camp options for your kids is (believe it or not) here, and the Roeper School will be holding an open house for those interested in Roeper day camps. The open house will begin with a presentation from the camp's director followed by a tour of the camp facliites. There will be another open house at 10 a.m. April 20.
Schools: Berkshire Movie Night Fundraiser
- When: 7-9 p.m. Friday
- Where: Berkshire Middle School
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Berkshire Middle School is hosting the Berkshire Family Movie Night to benefit Operation Donation. All families are invited to wear their pajamas, bring a pillow and a blanket and watch Finding Neverland. The event is free, but families are asked to bring a toiletry item, or a canned or boxed good as a donation to those in need. Students will take the collected items to Lighthouse, Gleaners Food Bank, and Grace Centers of Hope on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Know of something else happening this weekend (or next)? Let us know by adding it to the Birmingham Patch Event Calendar!