Weekend Planner: Girls Scouts' 100th Anniversary Walk, World Series of Golf
Also highlighting this weekend is a concert at St. James Episcopal Church and two performances at St. Dunstan's Theatre in Bloomfield Hills.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time.
- When: 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Where: Springdale Golf Course and Lincoln Hills Golf Course
- Cost: $5
- Why Go: Birmingham golfers can tee off with a professional this weekend with the World Series of Golf. Players must choose their professional (either in person or by telephone) by 10 a.m.. The professional must have made the cut in the British Open or the PGA Championship. The lowest score wins.
- When: 8 a.m. Saturday
- Where: Detroit Zoo
- Cost: $30
- Why Go: To raise money for the Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan (GSSEM) and to honor Girl Scouts' 100th anniversary — otherwise known as the Year of the Girl — GSSEM will hold a 5K walk and run this weekend at the Detroit Zoo. The entry fee includes admission to the zoo, a t-shirt and parking. For more information or to register, visit www.gssem.org/5K.
- When: 8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday
- Where: St. Dunstan's Theatre
- Cost: $22 for adults; $20 for students and seniors
- Why Go: Come see A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, a light-hearted musical this weekend as the Greeks would have seen it — under the stars. With music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, St. Dunstan's performance also feature a live orchestra and will take place in the Greek theatre near the St. Dunstan Playhouse. Parking is available across the street at Christ Church Cranbrook.
- When: 1 p.m. Sunday
- Where: St. James Episcopal Church
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: The Fleur de Lys Chamber Ensemble performs Baroque masterpieces by Vivaldi, Corelli, Leclair and Gallo at this Sunday afternoon concert. Playing will be: Andrew Wu and Melody Wootton on violin, Alicia Rowe on cello and Glenn Burdette on harpsichord.
- When: 8 a.m. Sunday
- Where: Detroit Zoo
- Cost: $20
- Why Go: Come run or walk in the Michigan Institute of Urology's Run for the Ribbon, the group's fourth annual run and walk. Race participants will receive a t-shirt, a medal and free entry to the Detroit Zoo following the race. Register online at www.miurunfortheribbon.org or call 586-443-4272 for more information.