Weekend Planner: Hunter House Movie Premiere, Seaholm Homecoming
Also happening this weekend: the First United Methodist Church hosts their annual Pie Day while nature photographer William Cowger visits Baldwin Public Library.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time.
- When: 6 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Hunter House Hamburgers
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Come see the premiere of Hunter House: The Movie, a documentary celebrating the 60th anniversary of Birmingham's Hunter House Hamburgers. Things kick off at 6 p.m. with a performance by the Aaron Vaughn Band. The movie premieres at 7:30 p.m. There will be free popcorn and cupcakes, as well as plenty of Hunter House sliders for sale. DVDs of the movie will be on sale, with all profits going toward the St. Jude's Children Hospital.
- When: 7 p.m. Saturday
- Where: The Community House
- Cost: $75-$85
- Why Go: Members of the Seaholm High School class of 1983 are reconvening this weekend with a catered dinner, dancing and cash bar at The Community House. Class members can also meet for a tailgating party at the high school Friday night before the homecoming football game.
- When: 2 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Baldwin Public Library
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: William Cowger, the famed wildlife photographer, presents a lecture on the Serengeti, one of the greatest success stories in conservation. There are more than one million more large mammels in the Serengeti ecosystem than there were in 1960. Yet this success is endangered by development, Cowger argues, and the risks to this world treasure are great.
- When: Sunday
- Where: First United Methodist Church of Birmingham
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Who doesn't like pie? Check out the First United Methodist Church's Pie Day this Sunday. Simply drop off a cash order at the church by today, and then pick up your pie after all services this Sunday. All pies will be decorated with fabric and clear plastic wrap, and all proceeds benefit the Methodist Children's Home in Costa Rica and the Henderson Settlement in Kentucky.
- When: 7-11 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Birmingham Athletic Club (4033 W. Maple Rd. in Bloomfield Hills)
- Cost: $60
- Why Go: Help raise money for the Seaholm High School football program at this weekend's Big Event at the Birmingham Athletic Club. The evening includes a strolling dinner, cash bar and a live and silent auction. Prizes up for grabs include a week in Cancun, autographed jerseys, spa services, decorating advice, dance lessons and more.