Voting in Birmingham: What are the State Proposals on the November Ballot?
Before you head to the polls on Nov. 6, Patch is reminding you what's on the ballot in Michigan, Oakland County and Birmingham.
The Nov. 6 general election is a little more than a week away, and Patch is looking to help Birmingham residents prepare with a quick reminder of what's on the ballot and what they need to know before they vote.
The November ballot promises to be a long one. Besides picking either Mitt Romney or Barack Obama for the Commander in Chief job, voters will decide on a slate of state proposals as well consider candidates for various levels of representation in Washington, Lansing and Pontiac.
In addition, Birmingham voters will be deciding on a city charter amendment and voting for two members of the Birmingham Board of Education.
Birmingham Patch has been covering this election all year, however sometimes you just need a quick refresher before you head to the polls. Today, we're taking a look at the various proposals on the state ballot.
Michigan State Proposals
Michigan voters will consider six proposals this November. For more information on each, visit the following links.
- Proposal 12-1: The Emergency Manager Law would expand the powers of emergency managers in municipalities and school districts and allow the governor to appoint emergency managers.
- Proposal 12-2: Right to Collective Bargaining is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would make collective bargaining a right for public and private workers.
- Proposal 12-3: Renewable Energy Standard is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require 25 percent of the state’s electricity to come from renewable energy sources.
- Proposal 12-4: Quality Home Care is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would give home health care workers limited collective bargaining rights.
- Proposal 12-5: Limit Enactment of New State Taxes is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require a two-thirds majority of the state legislature or a statewide vote to raise state taxes.
- Proposal 12-6: Require Vote on International Bridges is a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would require a statewide vote to build international bridges or tunnels. This would affect the New International Trade Crossing (or new bridge to Canada).
- Voting in Birmingham: What's On the Local Ballot This November
- Voting in Birmingham: What's On the County Ballot This November
- Voting in Birmingham: Who's Running for State Office This November
- Voting in Birmingham: Who's Running for Judge This November
For all of Birmingham Patch's coverage of the 2012 November general election, visit Birmingham's 2012 General Election Guide.