Townsend Hotel, Rugby Grille Receive AAA Four-Diamond Ratings
In total, 14 hotels and six restaurants in Michigan received the association's second-highest ranking for 2012.
A Birmingham hotel and restaurant were named among AAA's four-diamond lodgings and restaurants for 2012, according to a list released Friday.
No Michigan establishments received a five-diamond ranking for 2012.
The Townsend has been a AAA four-diamond hotel since 1988, while the Rugby Grille has maintained its elite status since 2001.
AAA's diamond rating system uses trained inspectors to evaluate lodgings and restaurants. Cleanliness, comfort and security of lodgings are rated during an unannounced inspection. Only 4.8 percent of the 31,000 lodgings approved by the AAA make the four-diamond list, while only 2.7 percent of AAA's 28,000 restaurants make the cut.
A full list of ratings of AAA-approved restaurants and lodgings can be found at aaa.com/travel.
Other 2012 four-diamond hotels in Michigan include:
- The Henry Hotel in Dearborn
- Dearborn Inn in Dearborn
- The MGM Grand in Detroit
- MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit
- Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit
- The Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids
- JW Marriott in Grand Rapids
- The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
- Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort in Mount Pleasant
- The Inn at St. John's in Plymouth
- Royal Park Hotel in Rochester
- The Westin Detroit Metrolitan Airport Hotel in Romulus
- The Westin Southfield Detroit in Southfield
Michigan's 2012 four-diamond restaurants include: