This Weekend in Concerts, See Classical Violin Quartet, Celtic Rock Band in Birmingham
Also happening this weekend: Birmingham Community Education hosts a community swim at Groves High School.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your upcoming weekend from Birmingham and the surrounding area:
Concert: Ehnes Quartet
- When: 3 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Birmingham Unitarian Church (38651 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills)
- Cost: $30
- Why Go: The Chamber Soloists of Detroit presents the James Ehnes String Quartet this weekend. Joining the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Robert deMaine, who heads up The Community House's Classical Brunch program, is internationally acclaimed violinist James Ehnes and Amy Schwartz Moretti and Richard O'Neill. They will perform the Italian Serenade by Hugo Wolf and quartets by Mendelssohn, Shoktakovich and Bartok.
Concert: Bill Grogan's Goat
- When: 9:30 p.m. Friday
- Where: Dick O'Dow's
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Bill Grogan's Goat, Detroit's rock and traditional Celtic rock band, will be performing at Birmingham's Dick O'Dow's this Friday. The band combines Highland pipes, mandolin, fiddle, banjo, bouzouki and the penny whistle, along with traditional rock and roll bass, guitar and drums. For more information, visit www.billgrogansgoat.com.
- When: All weekend long
- Where: Barnes & Noble (500 S. Main St. in Royal Oak)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Have a gift card to Barnes & Noble burning a hole in your pocket? Beaumont Children's Hospital is wrapping up its fundraiser at the Royal Oak Barnes & Noble this weekend. With every purchase, Barnes & Noble will donate to the hospital. There's no minimum amount: every book counts.
Active: 'Make a SPLASH!' community swim
- When: 1 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Groves High School
- Cost: $4
- Why Go: Want to go swimming this winter but don't belong to a gym? Take the kids to Groves High School for the weekly "Make a SPLASH!" community swim, sponsored by Birmingham Community Education. All swimmers must pre-purchase a swim card from Birmingham Community Education; for more information, visit http://www.communityed.net.
- When: Noon-3 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Petco (4820 S. Baldwin Rd., Lake Orion)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Are you thinking of adopting a retired racing Greyhound? GreyHeart Greyhound Rescue is holding a meet and greet and adoption event, giving future families the chance to meet the dogs and have your questions answered about Greyhound care. Visit www.greyheart.org for more information.
Know of something else happening this weekend (or next)? Let us know by adding it to the Birmingham Patch Event Calendar!