This Weekend, Birmingham is the Stage for Holiday Music, Carols and More
Also happening this weekend: Have your presents wrapped by the Birmingham girls lacrosse team during the Magic of Birmingham, and see 'Les Miserables' at Seaholm.
It’s the holiday weekend, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time.
- When: 11:30 a.m. Sunday
- Where: The Community House
- Cost: $25
- Why Go: Come experience the Classical Brunch series' holiday concert: Holiday Horns. Karl Pituch and three more sensational horn players from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra will perform a line-up of songs reflecting both the Christian and Jewish holiday traditions.
- When: 5 p.m. Sunday
- Where: First Baptist Church of Birmingham
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Come hear organist Lance Luce perform on First Baptist's spectacular new Allen/Moller combination digital pipe organ. Luce performs regularly around Metro Detroit, including the Redford and Senate theaters.
- When: 6:30 p.m. Friday; 2 p.m., 7 p.m. Saturday; 4 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Seaholm High School, Townsend Hotel
- Cost: $18
- Why Go: Project DayDream's 10th anniversary season continues with a production of Les Miserables (school edition), directed by company founder and president Tiffany Victoria Sims. The musical is performed entirely by students ages 9-19 from all over Metro Detroit. In this emotional epic, 18-year-old Troy Dill-Reese plays Jean Valjean while 17-year-old Thomas Montgomery plays his foe, Inspector Javert. Set amid the political and social turmoil of early 19th century Frace, the show includes musical favorites including "On My Own," "Do You Hear the People Sing," "Castle on a Cloud" and "Master of the House."
- When: 7 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Our Shepherd Lutheran Church
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Our Shepherd Lutheran Church is hosting its 62nd annual Carols by Candlelight this weekend. Conducting will be choirmaster John Wittrock, who has conducted the church's five combined choirs 44 times now. A cookie and punch reception will follow the concert in the church's fellowship hall.
- When: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Caruso Caruso, Oliver's Trendz, Spice & Tea Exchange, Lucy, La Belle Provence
- Cost: Small donation encouraged
- Why Go: Finish your gift wrapping and give back to the 2012 girls lacrosse state champions this weekend, as the Birmingham United girls lacrosse team wraps presents as part of the Magic of Birmingham. The girls, as well as their state championship trophy, will be at a variety of Birmingham retailers and all wrapping materials will be provided.