It's Labor Day and You're Wondering: What's Open?
Still in town this Labor Day? Here's what will be open around Birmingham.
Labor Day is today, and while offices are closed and the barbecues are fired up, you still may need to get out and around Birmingham.
Here's what you need to know about what's open and closed:
- City Hall: You may have to pay your parking tickets some other time. Birmingham City Hall, including the clerk's office, building and zoning department and treasurer's office will be closed Monday. Offices will re-open for regular business hours Tuesday.
- Post office: The U.S. Post Office off Adams Road will be closed on Labor Day; there will not be any mail delivery or pickup. The post office will re-open Tuesday for normal business hours.
- Trash collection: Trash collection will be one day late this week because of the holiday.
- Emergency: Make sure to call 911 in case of any emergency. For nonemergencies, call the Birmingham Police Department at 248-530-1889 or the Fire Department at 248-530-1900.
- Library: Baldwin Public Library will be closed Monday, but will re-open Tuesday during regular business hours.
- Grocery stores: All grocery stores, including Kroger and Papa Joe's, will be open regular hours Monday (perfect if you forget the coleslaw at your barbeque).
- Movies: Take a family trip to the movies this Labor Day. The Birmingham 8 and Palladium 12 theaters are open Monday, with screenings beginning at 11 a.m. Now showing is Brave, Paranorman, Sparkle, The Dark Knight Rises, The Possession and (if you're already tired of election season) The Campaign.
- YMCA: Don't let the holiday be an excuse to miss your workout. The Birmingham Family YMCA will be open Monday 5 a.m.-1 p.m. For more gym hours, make sure to call your favorite gym around town.