Heading Back to School? Make Sure You've Read Patch
Patch has been getting ready for the first day of school as well, so make sure to check out our month of coverage before your kids head back to class.
The time has finally come: the first day of school for the students from Birmingham Public Schools is tomorrow. And, just as you've been registering and buying all those highlighters and notebooks, Patch has been getting ready for school with a month of stories, tips, discussions and more.
So before the first bell rings tomorrow, make sure to review what you need to know, as well as the stories you may have missed along the way.
- 8:55 a.m.-3:50 p.m.
- Half day: 8:55 a.m.-12:05 p.m.
- Morning kindergarten: 8:55 a.m.-noon (Half day: 8:55 a.m.-12:05 p.m.)
- Afternoon kindergarten: 12:40-3:50 p.m.
BIRMINGHAM COVINGTON SCHOOL
- 8:20 a.m.-4:05 p.m.
- Half day: 8:20 a.m.-11:20 a.m.
- 8:15 a.m.-3:08 p.m.
- Half Day: 8:15-11:20 a.m.
- 7:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- Half Day: 7:30-10:50 a.m.
- X-Block: 8:20 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
- MME day: 10:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m.
Is your child prepared?
At the beginning of each school year, parents and guardians must submit either a certificate showing that their child has received required immunizations, or they must submit a waiver form. Birmingham schools also require several forms to be filled out prior to the beginning of the year. Do you have it all done?
- Immunization Waiver Form: For those parents who decide not to immunize their children.
- Medical Contraindication Form: For those parents who have children who are not immunized due to health reasons.
- Permission to Administer Medication
- Free and Reduced Price Lunch Application
- Technology Acceptable Use Policy
- Preparticipation Physical Evaluation: For middle and high school students only
Dates to know this month
Tips and tricks
- Back to School: 5 Ways to Get Involved in Your Child's Education
- Back to School: 5 Ways to Help Students Transition
- Back to School: 5 Tips To Make Shopping Easier
Meet your new principal
Birmingham has five new principals this year and we're talking to all of them. Stay tuned for the last story in this five-part series—our discussion with Laura Tinsley, the new director of the Midvale Early Childhood Center—tomorrow.
- Meet Your New Principal: Beverly's Jamii Hitchcock
- Meet Your New Principal: Seaholm's Deana Lancaster
- Meet Your New Principal: Berkshire's Jason Clinkscale
- Meet Your New Principal: Pembroke's Susan Crocker
Need to get in touch with your child's school or a district administrator? Here are the phone numbers you need to know.
- BPS Early Childhood Center: 248-203-5800
- Beverly Elementary: 248-203-3150
- Bingham Farms Elementary: 248-203-3350
- Greenfield Elementary: 248-203-3210
- Harlan Elementary: 248-203-3265
- Pembroke Elementary: 248-203-3888
- Pierce Elementary: 248-203-4325
- Quarton Elementary: 248-203-3425
- West Maple Elementary: 248-851-2667
- Birmingham Covington School: 248-203-4444
- Berkshire Middle School: 248-203-4700
- Derby Middle School: 248-203-5000
- Groves High School: 248-203-3500
- Seaholm High School: 248-203-3700
- Lincoln Alternative School: 248-539-8413
- Central Administrative Building: 248-203-3000
- Superintendent's Office: 248-203-3004
- Deputy Superintendent's Office: 248-203-3010
- Community Relations: 248-203-3025
- Community Education: 248-203-3800
- Special Education: 248-203-3014
- Instruction/Curriculum: 248-203-3011
- ESL/Bilingual Department: 248-203-4230
For more Back to School coverage, check out Birmingham Patch's Back to School Guide 2011.