Fun Happenings Nearby This Weekend
Laugh it up at a breast cancer research fundraiser in Berkley, rock out with The Mega 80's in Ferndale, paint pumpkins in Royal Oak, shop the Birmingham Farmers Market, take a spooky tour from Clawson or trick-or-treat in the woods in Troy.
There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
- When: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20.
- Where: Farina's Banquet Center
- Cost: $15 for general seating or $20 for reserved table seating. Tickets are available at Farina's or on the American Cancer Society website.
- Why go: The fundraiser will feature six comedians, hors d'oeuvres, a cash bar, raffle and silent auction.
- What else: The recommended age for this show is 18 and up unless a parent is present. Call Mike Hull at 248-828-5940, e-mail WeNeedTheCure@yahoo.com or visit the event's Facebook page for more information and to RSVP.
The Mega 80's
- When: Doors open at 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: The Magic Bag, 22920 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Cost: $10
- Why go: Sing and dance to your favorite retro tunes with the trio that Real Detroit Weekly voted the "Best Cover Band in the City.”
- What else: The show is for people age 21 and older. Visit www.mega80s.com for more information on the band.
- When: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Paint Party Royal Oak, 2514 W. 14 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Cost: $20
- Why go: Paint pumpkins with your little ones ages 7 and older. Parents are welcome to bring drinks and snacks.
- What else: A responsible adult must accompany children. Call 248-259-6405 for more information.
- When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Moose Winooski's, 38 S. Main St., Clawson.
- Cost: $35. Seating is limited. Tickets must be purchased in advance and are available at haunteddetroittours.com.
- Why go: Join a 2.5-hour ghost-hunting adventure throughout Metro Detroit that departs from Clawson. The tour will include charter transportation, refreshments, history of the sites and guides equipped with ghost-hunting tools such as digital cameras, infrared thermometers and EMF detectors to help identify potential paranormal activity.
- When: 9 a.m. Sunday
- Where: North Old Woodward Avenue and Harmon Street, Birmingham
- Cost: Free
- Why go: Shop more than 70 booths featuring locally and regionally grown produce including organic vegetables, fruits, flowers and garden
plants, plus baked goods and hand-crafted items.
- What else: Like the Birmingham Farmers Market on Facebook or follow it on Twitter at @BhamFarmMkt for updates.
- When: 6-8 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Troy Nature Center, 6685 Coolidge Hwy., Troy.
- Cost: The adult partner is free and must accompany the child throughout the program. Troy Nature Society members: $9. Tickets in advance: $11. At the door: $13.
- Why go: Halloween doesn’t have to be ghastly and frightening; it can be a fun and friendly outdoor celebration. Put on your costume and come out to hike the woodland pumpkin trail with a guide. At various stops in the woods, children will learn some secrets of the forest, receive treats and meet costumed characters.
- What else: The event is for children ages 3 through 9 years old. For more information, call 248-688-9703.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!