Feature Photo: There's a Pride of Lions Watching Over Birmingham
Lion sculptures are now scattered throughout Birmingham as part of the Children Charities Coalition's LionTown project.
If you've been seeing some lions around town, there's no reason to call the Detroit Zoo.
The lion sculptures are part of the LionTown project from the Children Charities Coalition. In early May, the Birmingham City Commission gave the go-ahead to place up to 40 lion sculptures throughout downtown Birmingham this summer and fall.
All proceeds from the lions — which can be purchased by businesses and community groups — go toward the various charities supported by the coalition, including CARE House of Oakland County and Variety, The Children's Charity.
All lions will be on display through Oct. 15, and then auctioned off at Ford Field on Oct. 16.
A map of where you can find all 50 lions can be found at www.liontown2012.com. So far, you can find the lions in Allen Park, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Dearborn, Detroit, Farmington Hills, Rochester, Royal Oak, Warren and Southfield.
The city with the most lions? It's Birmingham, by a long shot, with 30 lions now settled in their new homes around town. Here's where you can find them (sponsor information is in parenthesis):
- Roaring for Team USA: 203 Pierce St. (Atlas Oil)
- Fleuratron: 600 S. Adams Rd. (Alexander, Eisenberg & Spilman)
- Stormin' Lion: 355 S. Old Woodward Ave. (Henry Baskin Foundation)
- Pauley: 777 S. Eton St. (Bolyard Lumber & Design Center)
- Putting on the Ritz: Shain Park (Crestmark Bank)
- Lion Around the House: 225 E. Maple Rd. (Elyse and David Foltyn)
- E-Roary: 180 S. Old Woodward Ave. (Great Little Spots)
- Lady 'D': 2253 Cole St. (Denise Ilitch Designs)
- Top Hat: Shain Park (S.R. Jacobson Development Corp.)
- Detroit Lion: 34602 Woodward Ave. (Fred Lavery Audi)
- Dan D. Lyon: 256 N. Old Woodward Ave. (LocalBizNOW and ReptoniX)
- Read between the Lions: 300 W. Merrill St. (Mackinac Partners)
- M.G.M (Most Grand Mamma!): 101 Townsend St. (Margot's European Spa)
- Realism To Abstract: 100 S. Old Woodward Ave. (Miller Canfield)
- Music/Jazz It Up: Shain Park (Dr. and Mrs. Richard Persiani)
- Cielo: 288 E. Maple Rd. (John and Sue Peters)
- Enduring Spirit: 166 W. Maple Rd. (Planning Alternatives, Ltd.)
- Taming the Lion: 251 Pierce St. (Schechter Wealth Strategies)
- Time Lion: 151 Martin St. (Seco Tools)
- Shreddin' the Defense!: corner of Merrill and Pierce (Joyce and Lyle Shuert)
- Kid Lion: 572 S. Adams Rd. (Kelly and Matthew Shuert)
- Paws and Reflect: 1000 S. Old Woodward Ave. (Dan Stall Auction Team)
- Lions Town: 273 Pierce St. (Streetside Seafood and Varsity Shop)
- Twenty: 735 Forest Ave. (Templeton Building Co.)
- Leo Boutin: The Townsend Hotel (The Townsend Hotel)
- Victor: 250 W. Maple Rd. (Victor International Corp.)
- Unilion: 275 S. Old Woodward Ave. (Friend of the Children's Charities Coalition)
- Leo Reproduced: Corner of Chester and Maple (Friend of the Children's Charities Coalition)
- Vincent: 180 E. Brown St. (Friend of the Children's Charities Coalition)
- Surreal Flora: 505 N. Old Woodward Ave. (Friend of the Children's Charities Coalition)
Have you seen the lions around town? Snap a photo and upload it to this story!