Business Briefs: No More Dunkin Donuts Planned for Woodward
The space will still be developed for retail, officials say, with several as-yet-unnamed tenants lined up.
Give up those doughnut dreams: plans for a Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins have been abandoned for the empty space at 33779 and 33757 Woodward Ave., the former location of Bordine's on Woodward.
Bordine's closed its Woodward Avenue greenhouse space last winter. The site is comprised of a greenhouse structure, a parking lot in the rear and a brick building on the corner of Humphrey and Woodward.
Plans for a Dunkin Donuts were brought to the city in early summer by Coffee Enterprises, one of the largest Dunkin Donuts franchisees in Michigan.
The project, now led by Tri-Phase Construction, now involves developing the site for retail, though tenants have not yet been identified.
At the Oct. 24 Planning Board meeting, planning board members were frustrated by the lack of details, noting they don't normally approve projects without knowing how it will be used.
"We don't know what the use is and we're being asked to approve extra parking?" asked planning board member Scott Clein.
Representatives from Tri-Phase Construction, as well as Ron & Roman Architecture, assured planning board members that the 5,000 square-foot space wouldn't be used as a restaurant.
"We're not trying a backhanded approach on anything," said Ron & Roman representatives, noting that a national hair salon chain has expressed interest in moving into the corner location.
Eventually, the planning board voted to approve the plans, with Gillian Lazaar voting against.
Openings and Closings: Liquid Lunch, Jarbo and more
The following new businesses have recently, or will be, opened or closed their doors in Birmingham:
- Blue Yoga has opened at 161 Townsend St.
- The Dallo Law Firm is opening at 255 S. Old Woodward Ave.
- Jarbo, a woman's clothing store, has opened at 203 E. Maple Rd.
- Liquid Lunch, a cafe specializing in smoothies, juices and tonics, has opened at Be Well Lifestyle Centers at 750 S. Old Woodward Ave.
- Michigan Orthopedic Rehabilitation — which provides back, neck, post-op and sports injury care — has opened at 33437 Woodward Ave.
- Illusionz has opened at 142 S. Old Woodward Ave, the former location of Churchill's. The sohp sells tobacco and smoking accessories.
- Sol Porition Studio, a sunless tanning studio, has opened at 33668 Woodward Ave.
- Acupuncture Health Alliance has moved from Berkley to a suite at 1890 Southfield Rd.