Blues Festival Wraps Up in Ferndale and More Things To Do This Weekend
Also happening this weekend: the Beverly Hills Winter Family Fun Day is scheduled for Sunday at Beverly Park and the Nightnotes Concert Series returns to Birmingham.
It’s Thursday, and you’ve got no idea what you’ll do this weekend. Birmingham Patch is coming to the rescue. We’ve got the best bets for your upcoming weekend from Birmingham and the surrounding area:
Music: Ferndale Blues Festival
- When: Friday-Saturday
- Where: Various Ferndale bars and restaurants
- Cost: There may be cover fees
- Why Go: The 12th annual Ferndale Blues and Music Festival enters its final weekend on Friday, with dozens of local artists performing at various Ferndale bars and restaurants. The event is held as a fundraiser for the Ferndale Youth Assistance and Michigan AIDS Coalition. For more information and the complete line-up, check out Your Guide to the 2013 Ferndale Blues and Music Festival.
Outdoors: Beverly Hills Family Fun Day
- When: 1-4 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Beverly Park (18801 Beverly Rd., in Beverly Hills)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Enjoy sledding, ice skating, warm drinks and snacks during Beverly Hills' annual Winter Family Fun Day, a celebration of everything winter. The event will also feature snowshoeing, a snow cave, winter golf and winter softball. The event was rescheduled from last weekend and is still slated for Sunday, weather permitting.
- When: 8 p.m. Friday
- Where: Hagopian's Oriental Rugs
- Cost: $10-$25
- Why Go: Enjoy the beauty and magic of traditional Chinese instruments and music at this Detroit Chamber Winds & String concert: 'Beijing to Birmingham.' Part of the Nightnotes concert series, Artists Xiao Dong Wei, Tian Shi Feng and Yan Xi Dong will perform on several traditional Chinese instruments, the erhu, bamboo flute and guzheng.
- When: 8 a.m. Sunday
- Where: Johnson Nature Center (3325 Franklin Rd. in Bloomfield Hills)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Forget about the Super Bowl, for birding fans, this Sunday is Super Bird Sunday at the Johnson Nature Center. The center will be hosting its annual winter bird count and census, and will be welcoming birding fans to go out in small groups to check out the nature center's various habitats. At 10 a.m., participants will meet back at the nature center for final tabulation and hot cocoa and coffee.
- When: 3-4 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Bloomfield Township Public Library (1099 Lone Pine Rd., Bloomfield Township)
- Cost: Free
- Why Go: Hear the Chamber Music Society of Detroit's Aeolus String Quartet as they perform a free family concert as part of the Listen @ The Library program. The concert will be both informal and interactive, allowing the audience to meet the artists and learn about chamber music.