5 Things To Know This Week: Transportation Event, Youth-Led Dialogue Day
Here's what you need to know about Birmingham this week.
- City Commission to meet Monday: The Birmingham City Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday at City Hall. On the agenda are several purchase agreements as well as a report on alcohol at city golf courses. For the complete agenda, visit On the Agenda: City Commission Meets Monday Night.
- School board meets Tuesday: The Birmingham Board of Education will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the district's administrative offices on West Merrill Street. The board will hear an update on the 2012-13 budget Tuesday night, as well as the latest enrollment figures. For the complete agenda, visit On the Agenda: School Board to Discuss Budget Update, Enrollment Figures.
- Michigan Transportation Odyssey kick-off event Wednesday: Kicking off the Michigan Transportation Odyssey project, in which participants attempt to travel from Detroit to Traverse City using only public transportation, the Michigan Environmental Council and Metromode will host a panel of speakers Wednesday at The Reserve. A panel of experts, including Birmingham Mayor Mark Nickita, will discuss the future of a Regional Transit Authority and Michigan's prospects for economic growth and prosperity. Cocktails begin at 5:30 p.m. while the panel discussion begins at 6:45 p.m. An afterglow party will be held at the Big Rock Chop House afterwards.
- CHOICES: Youth-Led Dialogue Day Thursday: The Birmingham Youth Action Board (YAB) will host a special presentation for parents at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at the First Presbyterian Church. YAB teens have chosen to feature a live court session with Judge Diane D'Agostini from 48th District Court and an area young person to share his story — both will demonstrate the real-life consequences that come with impulsive decisions teens make to use alcohol and drugs.
- BBAC spring registration begins Monday: Registration for spring classes at the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center (BBAC) begin Monday. View the class schedule by visiting the BBAC website. To register, call 248-644-0866 or visit www.BBArtCenter.org.