- Holiday tree-lighting ceremony Wednesday: The holidays officially arrive in Birmingham Wednesday night during the annual tree-lighting ceremony in Shain Park. Beginning at 6 p.m., hear local choral groups and bands playing all your holiday favorites, then stick around as the city flips the switch on its official Christmas tree.
- Santa comes to town: Birmingham's holiday tree-lighting also means one very important thing: Santa officially arrives in Birmingham. The big man will join city officials during the ceremony, after which he'll begin seeing young ones anxious to pass along their Christmas list at the Santa House in Shain Park. Santa House hours continue through Christmas Eve.
- Thursday, Friday trash collection delayed one day: If your trash is normally picked up on Thursday or Friday, pick-up will be delayed one day this week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Wednesday trash collection is not affected.
- Nativity display begins Saturday: Those looking to celebrate another kind of Christmas tradition can visit the city's nativity display, which will officially be installed Saturday through Dec. 29. The display is courtesy of Ascension of Christ Lutheran Church in Beverly Hills.
- City offices, library closed for Thanksgiving: Birmingham City Hall will be closed on Thursday and Friday this week for the Thanksgiving holiday. Baldwin Public Library, meanwhile, will close at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and be closed Thursday.
Correction: Baldwin Public Library will be open until 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.