1. Deals and more all day: The Magic of Birmingham annual shopping event, sponsored by the Principal Shopping District, goes from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and next Saturday, Dec. 17. More than 40 stores throughout downtown Birmingham are participating, featuring special deals and more.
2. More than 2,000 gifts to be given away: While you're downtown, be on the lookout for Santa's special helpers, who will be handing out red ornaments. Inside are directions to head to specific downtown shops, restaurants and salons, where you can then pick up one of 2,000 special gifts.
3. Win plane tickets or a diamond necklace: If you're lucky, you might receive the special red ornament telling you to head to Astrein's Creative Jewelry or Departure Travel next weekend. Two lucky shopppers will receive a diamond necklace from the jeweler, while the other will receive two airline tickets to anywhere in the continental U.S.
4. Kids crafting session begins at noon: Beginning at noon, the Birmingham Historical Museum and Park will host a free crafting session for kids. There will be free snacks and drinks, and kids can also check out the museum's model train display while they're there. Around 1 p.m., kids and their parents are then invited to march to Shain Park during the annual Kids Holiday Parade.
5. Santa House opens, carriage rides available: After the parade, stick around for a visit at the Santa House, hot cocoa vendors, live carolers outside various stores or take a carriage ride throughout downtown.