Orchard Lake Swim Club Wins League Title
The Blue Carp of Orchard Lake Country Club successfully defended their league title last weekend at Birmingham Country Club.
The final tally of the meet was:
- Orchard Lake Country Club 1407.5
- Birmingham Country Club 1140
- Pine Lake Country Club 1131
- Forest Lake Country Club 985
- Meadowbrook Country Club 757
- Bloomfield Open Hunt 336.5
Several meet records were shattered during the meet, some by more than one swimmer.
Orchard Lake started it off setting a record in the 200-meter medley, with Jack Kennedy, Jack Russell, Maggie Ramonat and Sophia Schott shaving more than two seconds off the former record with a time of 2:02.16.
Mallory Buha of Meadowbrook set a new record in the girls 13-13 50 back (29.60.) Allie Russell of Orchard Lake broke the record in the 11-12 100 IM in preliminaries, and then finished second behind Birmingham’s Ava Suchara who set the new mark of 1:10.08. Allie went on to set another record in the 11-12 50 breaststroke (35.72)
Nate Neeley of Forest Lake set a record of 34.60 in the 9-10 50 butterfly. Ellie Schinella, also of Forest Lake, established a new standard of 30.25 in the 13-14 50 butterfly. Jack Russell of OLCC broke the 13-14 boys butterfly record with a 26.98.
Birmingham’s Taylor Steffl re-wrote the 15-17 girls butterfly record 28.21 and Meadowbrook’s Rob McGowan set a new standard in the boys’ 15-17 butterfly (25.23.) Jake Wasko set a new record in the 13-14 boys’ freestyle in preliminaries ( 25.28. )
In the freestyle relays at the end of the meet, Birmingham set a new mark in the mixed 8 and under 200 free relay (Katie Gillette, Meredith Bishop, Will McBride and Johnny Cross) with a time of 2:31.49.
Orchard Lake’s team of Jack Ramonat, Emily Prokop, Christina Schott and Jake Wasko set a new standard of 1:51.03 in the 52 year Mixed free relay. And Forest Lake closed out the meet setting a new record in the 64 year Mixed freestyle relay. The team of Rohan Tangri, Ellie Schinella, Kylie Powrie and Steven Curry went 1:43.59.
Orchard Lake had thirteen first places and seventeen second places. In addition to those already mentioned, first places were earned by:
- Gabriel Schwaiger (8 and under 25 back 21.01)
- Kaden Schwaiger (9-10 50 back 38.20 and 50 free 33.74)
- Rudy Stonisch (8 and under 100 IM 1:32.91 and 25 free 15.36)
- Jack Russell (13-14 100 IM 1:03.01)
- Jack Kennedy (13-14 50 breaststroke 34.04)
- Sophia Schott (11-12 50 freestyle 29.07)
Individual second places were taken by:
- Alexander Margherio (9-10 50 backstroke 32.90)
- Jack Kennedy (13-14 50 backstroke 30.03)
- Cameron Wasko (15-17 50 backstroke 28.61 and 50 butterfly 27.27)
- Cate Hofley (9-10 100 IM 1:22.85 and 50 free 33.59)
- Allie Russell (11-12 100 IM 1:10.16)
- Wills Reasoner (11-12 50 breast 39.54 and 50 free 29.71)
- Maggie Ramonat (11-12 50 butterfly 32.70)
- Jake Wasko (13-14 50 butterfly 28.11 and 50 free 25.51)
- Emme Reasoner (15-17 50 free 28.17)
- John Yurich (15-17 50 free 24.91)
Orchard Lake finished first in two relays, and second in four others.
Head coach, Kevin Fogarty said “It was an incredibly fast meet in Birmingham’s pool. The competition was intense. All of the teams had exceptional performances. It’s rare to see so many meet and team records fall in a single meet. We saw some of Michigan’s best swimmers represented in the meet.”
This report was provided by Kevin Fogarty.