On the Agenda: Commission to Appoint New Mayor Monday
The Birmingham City Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday at City Hall.
Organization of City Commission
The city commission will be electing a new mayor and new mayor pro tem for the next year. Currently, Gordon Rinschler is serving as mayor while Mark Nickita serves as mayor pro tem.
Whoever is elected mayor will be then be appointed to the city's retirement board (along with the mayor pro tem) and the retirees health care fund committee. The mayor, or their assignee, will also be appointed to the Triangle District Corridor Improvement Authority and the Foundation for Birmingham Senior Residents.
- Request from the Birmingham Bloomfield Chai Center to display a menorah in Shain Park from Dec. 20-28 and hold a lighting ceremonyon Dec. 24.
- Approval of the Interim Intergovernmental Contract, which allows Birmingham's electrical inspector to conduct electrical inspections in the village of Beverly Hills, charging $50 per inspection.
- Authorizing the expenditure of $15,000 from the automobile parking system fund to assist the Principal Shopping District in creating their 2011 holiday promotional TV campaign.
- Confirming the approval of an emergency repair to the Vactor equipment at a cost of $9,686.79.
- Accepting a proposal from J&J Excavation for filling backyard sewers on the block between Yosemite Boulevard and Villa Avenue, as well as the 10-inch sewer on Columbia Avenue. The total cost would be $12,350.
- Continuation of a public hearing of confirmation for replacing the concrete in the parking area in front of Papa Joe's Gourmet Market on Woodward.
- Resolution to hold the second annual Birmingham Bike Festival on Aug. 26, 2012.
- A public hearing to hear the revised final site plan and special land use amendment for Bistro Joe's. Commissioners can also postpone the hearing to Dec. 12.
- A public hearing to consider removing the historic designation from 505 Townsend St.
- A request from Common Ground to hold the 38th annual Birmingham Street Art Fair on South Old Woodward on Sept. 22-23, 2012.
- A presentation of the city's 2011 audit