On the Agenda: City Commission Meets Monday Night
The Birmingham City Commission will meet at 7:30 p.m. Monday at City Hall.
Carroll DeWeese, Bryan Williams, Gillian Lazar and Jake Olsman will interview for three spots on the Birmingham Planning Board. DeWeese, Williams and Lazar currently sit on the board. The terms would expire in March 2015.
Gordon Thorsby and Cynthia Kelly will also interview for two spots on the city's Cablecasting Board. Their terms will also expire in March 2015.
All items listed on the consent agenda are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion and approved by a roll call vote. There will be no separate discussion of the items unless a commissioner or citizen so requests.
- A request from the Principal Shopping District to hold the Santa House in Shain Park Nov. 21-Dec. 24 this year. The PSD is also requesting to hold the annual tree lighting ceremony in Shain Park on Nov. 21, and the Winter Markt in Shain Park and the surrounding streets Nov. 30-Dec. 2.
- Chemical/fertilizer purchase for the Lincoln Hills and Springdale golf courses from Turfgrass Inc. for $18,000, Harrell's for $22,000, Great Lakes Turf for $8,000 and Tri-Turf for $5,000.
- Waiving the formal bidding requirements and approving emergency repairs from Sitework Services for $6,285. The repairs would be made to the eight-inch sewer main on Old Woodward Avenue.
- Authorizing the mayor to sign the agreement for municipal street lighting, presented by DTE Energy Co., relative to 2125 E. Lincoln Ave. All costs relative to this agreement will be charged to the adjacent owner, Armstrong White.
- Awarding the contract for the elevator renovation at the North Old Woodward Parking Structure to Detroit Elevator Company for $279,990.
- Authorizing the mayor and city clerk to execute an agreement with Woodward Brown, LLC for lease of city property on the northwest corner of Woodward and E. Brown St., adjacent to 34901 and 34953 Woodward Ave.
- Authorizing the city manager to commit the city to become a municipal member of the Michigan Suburbs Alliance.
- Accepting the Golf Report: 2011 Review; 2012 Prospectus
- Authorizing Wilcox and Associates to gather data on traffic count, travel time, vehicle queue as well as bicycle and pedestrian count on Maple Road, between the Park/Peabody Street intersection and Eton Road. The data would be collected in May for a fee of $7,440.
- Adopting the Woodward Transit Oriented Development Corridor Study, as well as directing the Planning Board to consider implementation of the study by recommending relevant ordinance amendments and/or updates to Birmingham's master plans.
- Jana Ecker (planning director): Community Development Department/Planning Division's annual report, as well as the Historic District Commission and Design Review Board's action lists for 2012-13.
- Jeff Bremer (assistant director of the Department of Public Services): Plan for alcohol at city golf courses
- Bob Bruner (city manager): East Maple Road reconstruction project and public safety answering point consolidation plan.