Local Squash Players Win Big in National Tournament
Local-area junior squash players from the Birmingham Athletic Club (BAC) squash program won two age divisions and placed second, third and fourth in six more at the Deroy Junior Open this past weekend played at the BAC.
Caroline Claar, from Birmingham, and Tatayanna Dadabbo, from Bloomfield Village, won the Girls Under 13 and Girls Under 19 age divisions, respectively. Both girls were undefeated, winning all of their matches during the tournament.
Other results included:
- Andrew Barr, from Bloomfield Village, placed fourth in the Boys Under 11 age division.
- Quinton Sappington, from Bloomfield Hills, earned second in the Boys Under 13 age division.
- Carson Claar, from Birmingham, earned fourth in the Boys Under 13 age division.
- Charlie Beauregard, from Bloomfield Hills, placed third in the Boys Under 15 age division.
- Vincent Mencotti, from Northville, placed third in the Boys Under 17 age division.
- Annie Lemberg, from Bloomfield Hills, placed fourth in the Girls Under 17 age division.
More than 80 of the nation’s best junior squash players competed in the tournament, Michigan’s only U.S. Squash-sanctioned junior squash tournament. Players from across the Midwest as well as from Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Maryland and Ontario participated.
The BAC will host the Motor City Open (MCO), its next major squash tournament, Jan. 25-30.
This report was provided by Robert Moll, from the Birmingham Athletic Club.